Legal and Regulatory Implications of Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology Course
18 March 2020: AlphaCode Club, Johannesburg
This course is aimed at both legal and non-legal individuals and introduces the attendees to a wide range of potential legal issues when dealing with cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology as well as an overview of global regulatory trends and approaches by governments and various industries. Legal and regulatory issues discussed include liability, privacy, data security, contracts, consumer protection, financial regulation and tax. The course will enable attendees to identify the appropriate legal, regulatory issues and risks when dealing with cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
SPECIAL OFFER: Enrol 2 people and receive the 3rd ticket for FREE!
Email Nazley at email@example.com to apply for this special.
- It will be advantageous to have a basic understanding of cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology
- An interest in the legal implications of Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), blockchain technology and/or cryptocurrencies
- Price: R3,500.00 (incl. VAT) per person
- This is a 1-day course from 09:00am – 15:00pm
- Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided
- The training will be held at the AlphaCode Club in Sandton, Johannesburg
- Each attendee will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
Module 1: Introduction
- A short history of cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology
- An overview of the latest developments
- A quick introduction and recap of important terminologies and concepts
Module 2: Cryptocurrency Regulation: Part 1
- An overview of the different approaches taken by regulators globally
- Discussion on the legal nature of cryptocurrencies (is it a currency, security or asset?) and issues pertaining to the use of cryptocurrencies
- Exploring the impact of regulation on cryptocurrencies
Module 3: Cryptocurrency Regulation: Part 2
- What is Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs)?
- A discussion on the legal nature of ICOs and issues surrounding its use
- An overview of the various risks surrounding cryptocurrencies and ICOs, including scams, hacking and extortion
Module 4: Smart Contracts
- What are smart contracts? Are they smart and are they contracts?
- Are smart contracts legal and binding? Who is liable when something goes wrong?
- What are the use-cases for smart contracts? Who creates smart contracts?
Module 5: Blockchain Applications
- What is blockchain or distributed ledger technology and why is it important?
- What are the use-cases? The instructor will discuss practical use-cases, including the South African Reserve Bank’s, Project Khokha
- What are the potential legal issues and risks associated with blockchain technology?
Module 6: Where to next?
- What does a cryptocurrency and blockchain future look like?
- What are the barriers to adoption that need to be overcome?
- What does the industry need from regulators in order to move forward?